Thursday, August 11, 2011

Writing Assignment: When it's inappropriate!

Warning: There may be some inappropriate content for younger readers. Please read with caution.

Mama’s Losin’ It

5.) I sometimes laugh when I’m uncomfortable…or being yelled…or in church…or at a funeral. Write about a time when you laughed at an inappropriate time.




Growing up, there were some bully neighborhood kids that my brother and I dealt with. They were all brothers....Teddy, who was 19 yrs old, Bobby (who was about my brother's age, 17) and Joey (my age). Unfortunately, we knew they were going to grow up getting in trouble with the law.

This particular day, in the Summer of 1989, Teddy's trouble finally came to an end. He had gotten into a police chase and ended up being shot and killed by the police. I, at the time was 15 yrs old. This news, even though it was one of the problem kids in the neighborhood, was still disturbing and sad to me.

When I read in the paper when the services were going to be, I noticed a time for visitations. I just had to go....by myself. I asked my mom to take me to the funeral home so I could pay my respects. It was difficult for me but it was one of those things I felt I had to do.

I walked into the dimmed lighted room. There were family and friends there crying, the mom in front being consoled by family. I walked up to the casket, examining Teddy, thinking to myself how different he looked from what I remembered. Also noticing, was the bullet hole on his right temple. In with Teddy, was a cassette tape of Jimmi Hendrix. All this was somewhat less than what I expected. I thought I would cry. I mean, this was the first time I saw a deceased person. I was by myself and only 15 yrs old. I guess I felt I handled myself pretty good considering the situation.

Then I turned around, seeing Teddy's mom sitting there with her head down crying. I kneeled down in front of her and expressed my deepest condolences. Through her tears, she said thank you. I then stood and proceeded to walk towards the door when all of a sudden....you know when you have slip on shoes and if there is any air released from the inside bottom of your foot when you walk and it makes...um, shall I say, a tooting sound?! Yes, my shoes "tooted"!! Right there in the quiet room as I was leaving. I was so embarrassed that I kind of laughed quietly however, in the quiet room, I'm sure people heard. Plus, there was a man standing in the back of the room as I was approaching the door that I'm sure if he hadn't heard my shoes "tooting" that he may have mistaken my quiet laughter as a sign of disrespect for the situation. Goodness knows if the mom heard me laugh, I would be devastated to think she thought I was laughing about her dear son's death, when in fact I clearly was not. *sigh*


That moment has stuck with me and now I try not to wear shoes like that anymore. At least not at funerals ;o)

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

OMG! I would have liked to died! This is the exact reason I have to walk around the entire shoe store in "tricky" shoes, to see if that will be an issue.

Nikki B. said...

oh wow! that sucks, but, "toots" are funny, i don't care who ya are. or if they're shoe-toots. teddy's mom knows that...no worries, kimmy!