Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Dinner is served....

It's been awhile since I participated with Mama Kat's weekly assignments. It's just that I either didn't have time or I really couldn't relate to the prompts. This week though I thought I would give it a go.

Here's this week's prompts:

1.) What was the first CD (or record or cassette) you ever purchased? Write about the way that particular album made you feel then. Write about how it makes you feel now.

2.) You were recently laid off. Instead of moping around, you've viewed it as a chance to start fresh. Pick a new career and write about your first day on the job.

3.) List your five most recent favorite things.

4.) I'm hungry. Share your very favorite recipe!!

Now, normally I would automatically pick #3 but I wanted to be different this time. Basically, step out of that norm, if you will. So I have decided to do #4 this week.

Okay, I wouldn't say this is my absolute favorite recipe but it is one of my favorite.


Stuffed Cabbage


What you will need:

1 head of cabbage
1 lb ground turkey or beef
2 cups rice
2 cans (15oz) tomato sauce
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
13" x 9" baking pan


Directions:

Brown ground turkey or beef, add salt and pepper to taste.
Cook rice until ready. Add rice and tomato sauce to desired thickness.
Stir together. Then add 1 cup of cheese. Cook until warmed through.

While the meat and rice mixture is warming, add 1/2 head of cabbage to boiling water.
As the cabage starts to soften and wilt, start to detach and remove from the boiling water.

With the baking pan to the side, pour some tomato sauce just to thinly layer the bottom.
Start adding spoonfuls of meat and rice mixture to cabbage leaves. Use 2 leave if need be to create a oval ball. Add to the pan. Do this until mixture or cabbage is gone.
Once you are done, pour remaining tomato sauce over the stuffed cabbage. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.

Cover with tin foil loosly to avoid cheese melting to foil.
Put in oven at 375 degrees 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Enjoy!

Now head on over to Mama Kat's and participate in her weekly assignments.

2 comments:

Hccm said...

I have found another cabbage lover! My family hates cabbage with a passion.

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

Young Momma said...

Sounds yummy but I really don't know if I could do cabbage. lol :) Thanks for sharing though!