Monday, February 8, 2010

Make a Difference Monday

Last week I vowed that I would take time out each week and do something nice and unexpected for someone and then report back today, Monday.

Honestly though, this week was really hard cause I didn't do much. I didn't go through any fast food places, I didn't see any homeless people on the side of the road to spare some change. I didn't really do anything. It was rainy out so I decided to stay in.

Here it is Monday and nothing to show for myself. Honestly though, as I think about it, it's not about what I have to show but about who I've helped. I didn't realize it was going to be so hard to find someone to help.

Okay, so maybe I've held a door open or kept the elevator open for a few people and they were very happy and smiled and said thank you or we took over some food for our friend's Super Bowl party but I was hoping to have done more.

I'm wanting to help someone that needs it. I do however like the idea of paying for someones coffee in the Starbucks drive-thru though. That's an honest free gift that doesn't get a thank you back but you feel good about it.

I just think maybe I need to try harder this week. In fact, I do have an idea of something that I could do. I'll save that for next week's post. It's a good one. {*hint* has to do with my friend's that were in the motorcycle accident last Sept.} Plus, it's long overdue and about time I did do this. I guess I better get on the ball!
Have you done anything nice for someone this week? I'd like to hear. :O)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

That's a great idea! A few weeks ago I was the recipient of a free lunch at McDonald's - thanks to the person in front of me. Shortly after that, the same thing happened at Starbucks. The morning I vowed to do it myself, there was a cop behind me in the Starbucks drivethrough.

I felt so honored to be able to do something that small for someone who puts his life on the line every single day.

It felt good!

~ Jennifer
http://thetoyboxyears.blogspot.com

Jim said...

Hi Kimmy, I'm like you. A friend was in a bad motorcycle accident in Oregon. He needs me to just visit as he has been 'home bound' for at least six months now.

How did your Super Bowl party go? I am fishing (on my blog) for a Valentines party invite. :)
..

Lisa Petrarca said...

I've learned that sometimes just being a listening ear to a friend is something that means a lot.

It's about the little things too.

I'm sure all your "little" things really added up & you made more of an impact last week than you realized.

I too didn't have a very good week. I guess I gave some advice to a friend in need. So I'll count that & try harder too!

Thanks for the reminder Kimmy!