Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Winter Wonderland Disaster


Snow is beautiful! It makes for beautiful pictures!

It can even be fun to play in, with the right gear.

My story is about snow, just not in the fun and beautiful sense of the word.

It was over 9 yrs ago. Honestly, I don't remember the year, I just know it was sometime before I got married which was 8 1/2 yrs ago.

It was my husband (fiance at the time), me and my husband's cousin, Eric. The three of us had decided to drive up to Reno for the weekend. We had purchased cables ahead of time knowing that it was going to be snowing in the Sierras.

Once we got to the area where chains were required, we paid one of the many guys out there to put them on for us, then we were on our way. Very slowly, might I add. My husband had never driven in snow before so needless to say, he was a little nervous. He drove slow and cautious too.
As we were driving, we had gotten to a spot where we were okay to take them off. We pulled over and my husband got out and what did he discover? The driver side back tire was pretty much destroyed. We look and we didn't have a good spare tire either. Great! It was still snowing lightly where we were. We were in the middle of nowhere. We did notice that we were right by an on ramp though. Thinking there was some hope for us.

We get out to walk down to see what the on ramp lead us to. Let me tell you though, I wasn't dressed for this occasion at all. I had Keds on. You know, those shoes made with fabric? Snow and fabric just doesn't go together very well.

By the time I slipped on my butt on the frozen, wet snow to walk down with the guys to find nothing to help us and got back to the truck, I was merely a frozen icicle. My feet were so frozen, I thought perhaps by the time we got to civilization, I would have to amputate my feet.
(Nah, just a bit exaggerated)

We got back in the truck and found ourselves turning the truck on and off just to keep warm cause we were stuck there for 2 whole hours as cars drove by us on both sides of the freeway. We even put "HELP" on the windshield hoping someone on the other side of the freeway would stop. One car did stop from our side. They asked if we needed help. We asked if they could just call a tow truck for us. They said they would and went on. A while later in this 2 hour experience, a CHP saw us from the other side and came around and got help for us.

A tow truck finally came. We got to civilization to get a new tire for the truck and we were on our way.

The End.......

Nah, it's not over yet!

After our trip to Reno, we decided to head to Tahoe. Yes, in the snow......again. However, we didn't need chains or cables this time.

As we were driving this windy section of the highway, we see a car coming around a bend heading right towards us. The car must have hit a slippery spot and no matter which way they turned the wheel, they were coming right for us. We didn't want to make any drastic maneuvers by either speeding up or hitting the breaks so we just kept our pace and braced ourselves.

The car came within inches of us and the car behind us and ended up hitting the embankment.

They were okay. I guess. I assume. Okay, that just sounds terrible that we didn't even stop for them. It seemed like it was a soft impact though. No big deal.....hopefully.

After that incident, we were so ready to get home.....safely.

~~~

Now, head on over to Mama Kat's to see what prompts other bloggers are writing about.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully they were okay. Snow can be so dangerous. I haven't seen it in a couple years. It doesn't do much of that down here in the South, haha.

Danielle said...

Ugh. Snow. It's fun for about a day and then enough already. Your experiences though....I'm not seeing any fun in them!! :)

**visiting from mama kat**

Dumb Mom said...

I feel like I'm stuck in the snow. At least I'm stuck inside of my house so I don't have to worry about loosing a foot. But, being stuck inside w/three small boys and one big boy is nearly as bad!

Jenners said...

Visiting from Mama Kats...

Well I would never drive that stretch of highway ever again! And Keds are probably just about the worst thing you could have had on your feet!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Great story. I don't miss driving in the snow!

Anonymous said...

I hail from Minnesota and SNOW SUCKS. It isn't pretty when you are stuck in it. Glad you guys got home safely!

Anonymous said...

No fun at all! I'm from Alaska, so I can definitely sympathize with crappy snow stories!

(found you from MK!)

Unknown said...

i used to hail from minnesota and concur with the previous commenter!

Unknown said...

I was just imagining cold wet keds for 2 miles in a storm. Oh. My. gosh. I am glad you did not have to cut your feet off : )

Unknown said...

I am so glad everything worked out. What a tough memory of snow. Stopping from SITS!

Maude Lynn said...

I hate driving in snow!

Juliana said...

Scary!!!!!! I love snow, but it is not always fun to drive in!!!!

I am so glad that I came by your blog tonight, and I look forward to following you and getting to know you better! Juliana from A Blonde Walks Into A Blog